Special Stories Plus
There are 60+ Numicon resources available to download into Special Stories Plus, where they can be used as flashcards. All the add-ons can be used interactively or viewed as instructions to compliment tabletop activities. Use Numicon Shapes and real objects to support multi-sensory learning through play by seeing, feeling, reading, and hearing.
You can update the add-ons adding your own photos and words to create personalised number books, or instructions to follow with questions and answers. Edit the text to use the resources in any language, suit different levels of learning or to ask questions and create instructions to follow. As children's skills and confidence develops, you can create more complex stories or go back and develop upon the ones you have already created.
There are several ways you can use the Numicon Resources in Special Stories Plus to support children's education, such as:
Digital flashcards and stories
- Help children with their times tables where each page counts in multiples of either 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, or 10s using Numicon Shapes
- Download the Number Bonds add-ons to create an instruction book, editing the text to ask questions such as "find two Numicon Shapes". Use one of the Number Bonds add-ons to create an instruction book. Edit to ask the questions such as 'Find two Numicon Shapes'
- Create counting songs and stories using Numicon Shapes. Use the resource Counting Down, 5 to 1 as a template for creating a counting song such as "Five little ducks went swimming one day":
- Import the Counting Down, 5 to 1 add-on
- Change the words of each page, so that 5 becomes '5 little ducks', 4 becomes '4 little ducks', and so on
- Take pictures of toy ducks or real ducks to replace the shapes
- Add new pages if you want to expand the number range
- Edit the pages so that you can move and re-order them
- Using the digital flashcards in Special Stories Plus, support children to select the corresponding Numicon Shape and build a number line counting up or down
- Support children learning about multiples. For example, take a Numicon 2-shape then add another 2-shape to place together as a 4-shape. Replace the two 2-shapes with a 4-shape, then move on to add another 2-shape to show how this makes 6 and so on.
- Count in multiples of 5 by drawing around your hands. Cut them out and show each hand as representing a number 5 (count and mark the 4 fingers and 1 thumb to represent the number 5). Repeat to make as many as you need.
Please note: Printing of Numicon resources is currently not available. You can edit the resources to tailor them for the need and level of your child by changing the text and/or adding and removing pages in the usual way.
Start a free trial today
Special Stories Plus allows you to try the app for free for 14 days. Sign up for a free trial today to download Numicon resources and create your own instruction books and tailored flashcards.
Special Stories Plus, as well as Special Words Plus, is available for schools, charities and organisations. If you're interested in using our Plus apps with your students, please get in touch.