Award-Winning App for Special Needs
An award-winning app for children with learning disabilities:
- Encourage speaking and help with clarity
- Increase sight word vocabulary
- Develop hand-eye co-ordination
- Improve fine motor skills
- Personalise with your own words, photos and audio
- Transfer content to and from our Special Stories app
Includes 96 pictures and matching written and spoken words in 23 languages.
Easily personalise with your own words, photos and voice.
Available for the Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, and Android tablets and phones. The version for Apple devices includes support for Bluetooth and USB-connected switches and keyboards.
- All-new set of pictures: clear, simple and engaging
- Extra listening activities: for speech therapy and audiology
- Match 1, 2, 3 or 4 cards per page: adapt to child's ability
- Remote control: using any Bluetooth or USB keyboard †
- New language: Polish
- Choose between voices in German and in Norwegian: male and female
† Apple version only
What People Say
Helen Taylor, parent and teacher
This is without a doubt the best app I have come across for children with special needs. The fact you can personalise the resource is a brilliant motivation to my 2yr old son, and he engages so much better with special words than with any paper/card based activity. He signs for more as soon he completes one set of words!
Helen is education co-ordinator at The Education Centre for Children with Down Syndrome in the UK.
Angela, learning support assistant
I think Special Words is great! I use it at home with my own son who has Down syndrome and at work where I supported a child with autism in school. Both children find it easy to use and get a lot out of it. I find it quick and easy to add my own resources to make it personal and special to each child.
Sue, Makaton trainer
Special Words is helping my son to improve his speech, pronunciation, fine motor skills, hand eye co-ordination, recognition of words and objects. The app can be changed to grow with him as his vocabulary expands. It is brilliant for children with additional learning needs, it capitalises on visual learning, it is a fun interactive game that would also be useful for pre-school children.
Read more reviews